SNN (ScrollingNetworkNews) ✿ ✿ Our Mel and Sydney returned to their nesting box with plenty of bonding occurring..but after 2.5 months of Sydney in the box from Dec 2013 to mid Feb 2014, the lack of prey gifts from Mel ( perhaps due to the severe and historic drought underway in California)and they have forgone the nesting process this year as many other raptors ✿ Compared to other owls of similar size, the Barn Owl has a much higher metabolic rate, requiring relatively more food. Pound for pound, Barn Owls consume more rodents – often regarded as pests by humans – than possibly any other creature. ✿ We remind viewers that sometimes owlets may not survive - the parents will dispose of things in "The Owl Way" -viewer discretion is advised, this is nature and the "Owl way". ✿ ~ ✿ “Animals, like us, are living souls. They are not things. They are not objects. Neither are they human. Yet they mourn. They love. They dance. They suffer. They know the peaks and chasms of being.” ― Gary Kowalski, The Souls of Animals ✿ Each species is a masterpiece, a creation assembled with extreme care and genius." ~ E.O. Wilson

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Adventures with Mel and Syd

Mel arrived 7:05pm, immediately grabbed his treat
& moved it back into the pantry.
The temptation was too great.
He began nibbling  then down the hatch it went
gulp, all gone.
What treat??
Mel stepped out for fresh air looked around then deeted 8:01 & 8:06. He went back in to nap.

He started deeting again calling for his date at 8:50pm.

  Once awake he groomed using the camera lens for a mirror or did he attack it?
He stepped out 9:33 then flew down to the right as seen on the boom cam.
Mel returned landing on the porch then entered 12:09am.

Curious Mel decided to investigate the inside cam approx 1:00. He put on quite a  show up-close & personal. At one point all that was seen was a beak & an eyeball then he pushed his body against the camera. Mel you’re too funny. Someone surmised he may have caught a  glimpse of himself in the lens. He then went to the back of the box and rearranged the horks & scratched at the floor.

He left 2:46am and did not return and the Kastle remains empty again.