There's was a bird that was residing in Clarke County for almost two weeks but it's the reason it's was there that's concerning.
A bald eagle was found in Hopewell, Virginia unable to fly and was brought to Blue Ridge Wildlife Center.
Tests determined the eagle was suffering from lead poisoning.
Center Director Belinda Durwell says the eagle likely got lead poisoning by eating deer meat that had been hunted with lead.
"There are alternatives. You can use copper or other metal that aren't toxic to wildlife and don't tend to fragment when an animal is shot with it,” says Dr. Burwell. “There are certainly safer alternatives. Safer not just for wildlife, but safer for the families of people who do deer hunt and actually eat the meat."
Beating the Odds Of Lead Posioning An American Eagle Saga-
She did not win the lottery, but she is indeed “Lucky” “Lucky” to have been spotted by concerned citizens. “Lucky” to have been rescued by volunteer wildlife rehabilitators from A.R.K. (Area Rehabbers Klub) “Lucky” to have received her initial exam by Dr. A.J.Ereio at VetXpress in Colonial Heights, Va. “Lucky” to have been treated to Blue Ridge Wildlife Center. “Lucky” to have recovered from lead posioning. “Lucky” to have another chance at freedom. Area Rehabbers Klub, VetXpress and the Blue Ridge Wildlife Center
April 7, 2012 at 12:30 p.m. at “Lucky” Rivers Edge Bible