Ash and Sooty, two barn owls, that took up residence in a chimney, now have a far better home at the Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society in Merville.
Fortunately, for them and the homeowners, the fireplace had glass doors and a screen which prevented the owls from creating a mess in the living room.
The two owls were snuggled together, covered in soot and ash and did not put up a struggle when removed from the fireplace.
Ash, the female was having considerable breathing difficulties either from soot inhalation or stress, but Sooty did not appear to be in any acute distress.
Both owls were put in an incubator with a humidifier to help them breathe. They have now been relocated to an outside aviary complete with a nest box in case Ash is carrying eggs. Both are eating and gaining weight.
If any farmers in the Comox area around the Dyke Road are interested in adopting these owls into a barn please contact them at 250-337-2021.
This is a great reminder to homeowners who have open chimneys to make sure you have a grate or screen on top of the opening as not only owls but starlings and chimney swifts may also come looking for a warm sheltered spot and they can create havoc if they nest or find their way into your living area.
To follow the owls progress or updates on other patients please check their site at below link