As fate would have it, Raptor Rehabilitation Project members have been treating a mature bald eagle they named Watson. Watson was brought to the MU Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital Dec. 5, 2011, by a Missouri Conservation agent. Watson was unable to stand and showed many signs of a neurologic problem consistent with lead poisoning. Lead toxicity is a common problem in bald eagles. It is typically caused by an accumulation of lead during the lifetime of the bird from eating contaminated fish and other prey.
The eagle, Watson is estimated to be a female because of her size and at least Five yrs old due to her white head. On Sunday, Jan. 8, at 1 p.m. Watson was released into the wild and Miss Ruth was able to experience watching and making a dream come true!